Friday, August 16, 2013

Earthquake

Written for ABC Wednesday


The letter E proved to be a difficult one, my mind was just blank until a few minutes ago, I suddenly thought about Earthquake.

Wellington has been having a few strong shakes in the last month. The first big one was on the 21st July with several strong aftershocks and then another big one this afternoon at 2.30pm 6.6 on the richter scale and the aftershocks keep coming.

I never moved so fast in my life to get under the desk. Drop, cover, hold. I never thought I would feel safe under a table, but strangely I did. I guess when it's shaking so hard, anything helps. It probably shook for a short time but it felt like forever.

Nerves are really rattled and everyone is jumpy. Our office shut down for the day as did pretty much every one elses. Buildings were evacuated, trains were stopped, airport closed, people and cars everywhere, buses jam packed, phones jammed - chaos in the city.

Normally takes 20 minutes max for me to get home. Took me 3 hours today!

6.6 might seem like not very big but it's very deceptive especially if it's a shallow one and you are close to the epicentre and trust me, it shakes and rolls! And it is very scary.

If you wonder why I wrote about an earthquake ... it's very therapeutic and writing helps overcome the nerves.

Here's my post on the July earthquakes on my blog Photos are Fun.

I am thankful we all got home safely today.

Enjoy your day and I hope it's an earthquake free one.

Warm Regards
Photobucket


 

24 comments:

  1. This is ever so scary...especially if you're not together with your loved ones at the moment. I'm glad you're safe, Suzy. Stay that way. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Corinne. Yes, glad we got home safe. My son was on the road on the way to his Uni and he said it was hard to walk it was rolling and shaking so much.

      Delete
    2. I am so glad that you are okay! An earthquake is so scary, it always comes so unexpectedly.
      Take care!
      Wil, aABCW Team

      Delete
    3. So true Wil. It does come on suddenly and with such force

      Delete
  2. It must have been very scary Suzy. and it feels better to know that the loved ones are safe after the earthquake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Kalpana. Finding out where everyone was and getting to them was my biggest worry and priority. Thank God we all got home safely.

      Delete
  3. Thank God you and your loved one's are safe !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew.... Great to know you and your loved ones are safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That must be awful ! I never experienced an earthquake, although we had one in Belgium, but I slept. Everybody was up and afraid, except me.
    Fortunately you weren't injured !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know that feeling Suzy and I too was so scared when Mumbai rocked some years ago!! I can never forget that rock'n roll and the unsteady feet!! Whew!! that must have been a long trek home!! Good to know that all is well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nanka. Unfortunately for us we were quite close to the epicentre and it was shallow so it really shook. I'm glad too everyone got home safely.

      Delete
  7. Earthquakes are so terrifying. I'm glad you're safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not the sort of inspiration you would have wished for! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That seems like it would be terrifying, the Midwest where I live does have the San Andreas Fault but it has never caused a quake as yet. Sorry about the very long commute home. You commented your schools go from Jan to Dec--is that year round school? when do they get a break?
    ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann 2 fault lines go thru Wellington the pacific plate and the indo Australian plate so this is earthquake prone zone very scary when the big shakes occur. Schools here have 4 terms with 2 week breaks after terms 1 2and3 and the end of year break after term 4 for7-9 weeks depending on school exams etc. senior students get slightly longer vacation than the primary and intermediate schools as students finish up after their last exam

      Delete
  10. I'm glad you're okay. We don't get earthquakes in Auckland (generally) so everyone further south is in my thoughts :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat. It was very scary. I hope Mother Earth has settled down now.

      Delete
  11. What? I think 6.6 is PLENTY serious. Glad you're OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. Some people think 6.6 is nothing - obviously they've never experienced one!

      Delete

Please leave a comment so I know you visited.

However, any inappropriate comments will be removed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright Protection