Tuesday, December 10, 2013

My Personal Journey with Books

I am taking part in the Write Tribe Festival Of Words 8th - 14th December 2013

So today's personal journey is with "Books"

I am convinced that books find us not the other way round. That when the Universe wants to give us a message, it sends a book our way.

Some years ago I went book shopping at lunchtime to buy one that someone had recommended. I can't remember the name of the book but I do remember that I never got around to buying it.

As I walked into the aisle and started browsing through the titles, this book caught my eye. However as I was on the lookout for another book, I gave it a glance, and walked off in search of the recommended book.

I couldn't find it anywhere. Instead, the other book came into view again and again. Until unexpectedly while reaching for another book, it just dropped out of the bookshelf and onto the floor near my feet. I was so drawn to it, that I finally picked it up, paid for it and walked out of the store. The recommended book long forgotten and never bought.

That book was Dan Millman's Way of the Peaceful Warrior. It's one of my favourite books and since then Dan Millman has become one of my favourite authors.

The way of the Peaceful Warrior was one of the turning points in my spiritual journey and at the time, summed up the meaning of life for me:
Where are you Dan?  Here
What time is it?  Now
What are you?  This moment.

There are some real gems of wisdom in this book. I read this often and each time I discover something new. But the peaceful warriors path is not an easy one at the start.

image source: wikipedia

Join me tomorrow on my next personal journey with Music

My Personal Journey so far:

Check out some Day 3 posts and some Day 2 posts that I really enjoyed:
Kalpana's Food - Some interesting rituals of her grandmother.
Soumya's Ambrosia - Where can we find it?
Padmanabha's Food - Food in many ways - a touching story

Have a happy day

Warm Regards
Photobucket

Like my facebook page Suzy's Ilation and if any of your posts needs some tlc, add it to the goodwill thread there and I'll drop by and give it some love.

33 comments:

  1. That was a pretty interesting incident.Sometimes we are just lead to things when the things can t reach us.. The book came through and made its way to you ,to convey the insightful thoughts and messages that lay within. Loved to read this Suzy and I shall try getting this one,as now u have recommended.
    Also many thanks for referring about my post here.Iam honoured and obliged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Soumyav. I truly believe that the Universe guides us all through our lives if only we would let it.

      Delete
  2. I think we have that book somewhere around the house. Now I'm going to actually open it and read it! No denying that somehow that book was meant to be bought by you that day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great book Robyn. I am convinced I was meant to read that book.

      Delete
  3. Haven't read that book yet, but it has now been catapulted to the top of my to-read lists. Let's hope this book finds me! Great take on the post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sid. I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did.

      Delete
  4. Wow that really happened? That book sure sought you out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Obsessivemom - happens all the time this is only one of those.

      Delete
  5. I have bookmarked this book. I am definitely going to pick this up! Thanks for such a strong recco :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shilpa, it's a great book - I've read it several times.

      Delete
  6. Oh universe gives you signs all the time... You just have to keep your heart and your eyes open.... Lovely incident Suzy...I'm going to pick this book for sure...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aditi. You are so right, the Universe sends signs to us all the time. But more often than not we're not listening.

      Delete
  7. Lovely post, especially the line "books find us and not the other way round" so true, has happened to me so many many times that I have lost count of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mahabore. Glad you have the same experience as me lest people think I'm crazy :)

      Delete
  8. okay... i seriously have not heard of this book.. will check it out now. Am really in that point of life frankly where i could read something like this

    my prompt: http://www.godyears.net/2013/12/things-i-overhead-while-talking-to.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great book Roshan - one can read this simply as a story or find the wisdom within. I think it depends on where in one's spiritual journey one has reached.

      Delete
  9. "That when the Universe wants to give us a message, it sends a book our way." beautifully said. Loved reading the post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Padmanabha. Glad you liked it and glad my thoughts resonated.

      Delete
  10. Haven't read the book... but in my to-read list!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adventurous journey towards your favorite book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is kind of wild. Obviously you and the book were meant to find each other! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is kind of Kathy - but those kind of wilds are awesome.

      Delete
  13. I truly believe that the book finds you. I have laid eyes on so many books in the same way that you described. The painted house was one such book at the library and it has ended up being a favourite :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you find books that way to Maithili. And so true, those books do become our favourites.

      Delete
  14. Thanks for the reco. And you're right.. Books will find you and leave you.. Like people, books are there for a reason, season or lifetime. And I specially like how you've highlighted posts from other writers over the past 2 days. Great idea, and I'm off to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nischala. I enjoyed featuring posts during the last festival so carried on here. It also helps me go back to posts in the future or reconnect with bloggers.

      Delete
  15. Some books are destined for us, a lot like love and human relationships:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Vishal. Let's hope love and human relationships also reach us in "wild" ways as Kathy said.

      Delete
  16. Wow... that was an interesting post. Adding it to my to be read list NOW

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you visited.

However, any inappropriate comments will be removed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright Protection