Saturday, February 1, 2014

My Earliest Memory

Some days ago some of us Write Tribers, a group of very talented and fun loving bloggers, shared some pictures of our young days and that gave us the idea of writing about our earliest memories.

So I have the privilege and honour of starting off some memories that the Write Tribers are going to share on their blogs today.



I have some great memories of my childhood but the earliest was hard to determine. Of course there are many stories that parents and siblings can tell, but I wanted to write about the memory I have.

I've already shared one of my earliest memories with my dad so today I'll share one of my paternal grandparents.

They both were soulmates. They loved each other with all their heart and soul. During the Quit India movement when my grandmother (who was later classified as a freedom fighter) was imprisoned by the British, my grandfather offered to go to prison instead of her as my aunt was only a few months old. That's the kind of love they shared. In the end the British showed their compassionate side and let them both go. 

But back to the memory. My Dadima (grandmother) always sat at the head of the table. I always sat to her left and my Dadaji (grandfather)  sat to her right opposite me. Each mealtime he would tap with his spoon and we both would sing loudly together "Jessie tho Devi, Devanti Devi" (Jessie is a Goddess. A Goddess of Goddesses). And Dadima would laugh and say "Shu Papa?" (What Papa?)

This memory always makes me smile. He sang with so much love and joy. It was a fun moment for me too. My Dadaji died when I was 8 years old. This ritual started a long time before he died so I was quite little probably 4 or 5 years old. 

Btw my Dadima's father nicknamed all his children with English names. So my Dadima was Jessie and my Dadaji always called her by that name. And Dadima always called Dadaji Papa.

Here are pictures of them:
   

    
And now it's Psych Babler's turn to share her earliest memory. She blogs at  Over Cups of Coffee. Do drop by and check her post too.

Happy Memories

Drop by my facebook page Suzy's Ilation and if any of your posts needs some tlc, post a link there and I'll drop by and give it some love.



Warm Regards
Photobucket

37 comments:

  1. How very sweet, Suzy! Just the remembrance of the grandparents is so warm. Lovely!

    Your grandparents were freedom fighters?? Wow!! God bless their soul (a little more!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kajal. My grandmother was an amazing lady. She took part in the famous salt satyagraha and let one of the marches to Dandi from Mumbai.

      Delete
  2. Love this, Suzy. You must be so proud of your grandparents. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely story and memory of your grandparents! How amazing that your grandparents had such a part in history being freedom fighters. That is amazing! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy. I loved hearing the stories of those days from her. She was such a gentle soul yet she had such great strength.

      Delete
  4. Adorable post, made me happy reading it so early in the morning :) It's nice to recollect olden days gone by and feel the warmth of joy and love again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sulekha. They were both such loving souls and we all felt so loved and cared for. I miss those happy days. But they're always there in my heart and remembering them makes me happy.

      Delete
  5. Such a lovely post to start the chain and the morning with Suzy. I can imagine how proud you must be of your grandparents. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jyothi. I am proud of them but more than that I love them - even though they're here no more.

      Delete
  6. Aww! :)
    Such a heart warming post!! your grandparents are indeed lovely people :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was so lovely Suzy! Both of them such great souls :) You must be so proud that the were a part of our freedom struggle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aditi. It must've been some interesting times then. I heard it all first hand from them. My grandmother even corresponded with Gandhiji and guess what we did with those postcards - we scribbled all over them and then chucked them in the bin!

      Delete
  8. what lovely grandparents !
    These memories are treasures that we inherit in our life-time. No one can steal them from us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kalpana. They were lovely and yes these memories are real treasures. And reliving those moments brings so much joy.

      Delete
  9. That's super sweet. Suzy I am sure such memories always bring a smile on your face. Well, it did on my face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sugandha. glad my post made you smile as these memories make me smile.

      Delete
  10. Ohh that is so sweet...It's so nice to think about sepia tinted memories, they give such a warm fuzzy feeling don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was such a heartwarming and beautifully read, Suzy! You must be so proud of your grandparents! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shilpa, proud yes but more than that I loved them so much.

      Delete
  12. That was a beautiful tribute.... Lovely Post :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a sweet memory, Suzy - I'm smiling as I read it - everyday, ordinary love - what an example! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Corinne. They truly led by example in all aspects of life. They were such a loving couple, very gentle yet very strong and dynamic.

      Delete
  14. That's a lovely memory of your grandparents Suzy...and wow, they were amazing...still in awe about the whole freedom fighter role they played!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Psych Babbler. You know strange that we never look at them as freedom fighters or anyone great just as Dadima and Dadaji - 2 people who taught us about life and played with us.

      Delete
  15. Lol Suzy I think I would have liked your grandma... Goddess of goddesses.. That was funny. And yet she must have been a rave person to have been a freedom fighter. Such sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tulika. You know my Dadaji summed her up very well with that little song. She was angelic and divine. They were both amazing people. I feel so honoured and privileged to be part of their family and heritage.

      Delete
  16. What a beautiful story! Makes me want to believe in love! <3 And I don't know why but i always think grandparents are so rebellious. Mine's like that as well! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look so sweet! Thanks for sharing your memories with your grandparents with us. They must have been really great grandparents!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely Suzy. Grandparents are adorable. They teach you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I smiled all through the post... such romance ... love lies in simple things

    ReplyDelete
  21. And love is just one more thing you get to learn from your grandparents :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Now thts Love! Ur grandpa looks so lovable in the pic with a grin he finds so difficult to hide :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you visited.

However, any inappropriate comments will be removed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright Protection